Appointed in 2007
St. George is the best place in the world to work. I call it my “Happy Place”. I love the fact that we begin each day with a chapel service. It is a good way to start the day and be the best we can be.
Teaching is a very important part of my life. I love coming to work, greeting my students and watching them grow all year long. I do not consider myself a traditional teacher. I am constantly reading the latest research about kids and how they learn best. I believe that a hands-on approach to learning is the way to get students to grasp a concept so I incorporate a lot of manipulatives and games into a very academic curriculum to provide a good balance. I love seeing my students out of their seats and doing activities that make them think. Having a structured classroom is important to achieve this kind of goal. Love and Logic is key in all of this. Teaching responsibility while using empathy preserves the dignity of each child and creates the kind of classroom every student wants to be in.
There is an old saying… If you love your job you will never work a day in your life. That is how I feel about St. George. It is the best place in the world to work.
About Me: I love the outdoors. I would rather do yard work than housework and I would rather put a plant in the ground then flowers in a vase. I enjoy kayaking, walking, bird watching and have a special interest in rocks. I live with my family of San Antonio Fire Department employees. My husband is retired 33 years with the department and both my son and daughter are in the Fire Department as well.
- Masters in Educational Psychology University of Texas at San Antonio, 1978
- Bachelor of Science in Education, Minor in Speech and Communication Texas State University, 1975
- Teacher, First Grade St. George School, 2007-present
- Teacher St. George Episcopal School, San Antonio, Texas, 2007-present
- Teacher, Kindergarten Northside ISD, 1981-2007
- Teacher, ESL and Kindergarten San Antonio ISD, 1975-1981
Certifications, Awards, Associations
- Counseling Certificate
- NISD teacher of the year for Elrod Elementary – 2001
- Certified Love and Logic Facilitator for Parents and Teachers
- Math Their Way presenter
- Several course hours in art and watercolors